Thursday, October 25, 2007

My frustrations with acrylic or plexiglass ....

Ok so I am all pumped up to make a Christmas album or two to give as gifts this year. I go to Lowe's and buy a big sheet of 28x30 plexiglass for like $12. Ok, I get a special knife to cut it with. It was like $2.50 so I wondered then how it would do. I come home, Charlie agreed to help me cut it since I hate exacto knives. I hate working with them so he did everything that I was told to do at my class. We drew a line down where to cut it. We scored it at least 10 times on one side, flipped it over and scored it again MANY times on the other side. We went to break it in half and it just shattered. So much for the $12 plexiglass!! Then we got out the saw. Nope that didnt' work either. By now I am so frustrated I was about ready to give up. I ran over to HL and they had 5x7 sheets but it was very thin. I got 4 of those and I was determined to get this album done. I got it done but I don't love it like I did my Halloween album. I should post photos of it but I just don't love it so just use your imagination! LOL So I have decided its not worth the stress and I am not going to make any clear albums this Christmas. Maybe next Christmas the clear albums will be readily available everywhere, pre-cut and ready to decorate. THAT is when I will make an album or two.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi Sherri,

Sorry it didn't turn out. Of course my husband has all kinds of saws but he says to use a band saw, it has a really skinny blade and that should cut it with no trouble. Maybe you can find a woodworking club around or even the high school and see if they will cut it for you. Let me know if you try again.

mnhyrkas said...

bummer. could you contact the instructor and find out where she was able to get her supplies. You've certainly done your own research, so I wouldnt think twice about contacting her.

Anonymous said...

Try asking them to cut it for you at Lowe's.

Lesa said...

Oh how frustrating! Hope you had a drink and relaxed after that effort! I wish you would still post the photos....please!

Mary said...

LOVE IT! (the halloween album) I hate that I'm having to use my imagination on the Christmas one though. I'm sure it's as awesome as the Halloween one. It has to be, cause you are so talented! Great job.

Mary

Myrnabs said...

I hear that plexiglass is cheaper than acrylic, so next time use acrylic. And also don't imprint the holes too hard just a tad bit, I have heard that if you do it all the way the plastic will break. Anyhow, it sure looks like you did an outstanding job with ur halloween one!! Thumbs up girl!!


BTW, I tagged you (sorry) go to my blog for details, have a great sundy (church day) be nice and don't get mad at me!! hehehe!